Summer Student Position: Digital Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Application Deadline: Monday, June 4, 2018
About Ballet Kelowna: Ballet Kelowna is a not-for-profit professional performing arts organization in the Central Okanagan that promotes, encourages and fosters Canadian dancers and choreographers. Ballet Kelowna performs annually for over 12,000 audience members in Western Canada and has toured to over 60 communities. The organization seeks an individual who is passionate about the arts. It is important for potential candidates to have similar values and beliefs to uphold our organizational culture.
Description of position: Ballet Kelowna is seeking a post-secondary student currently studying in the field(s) of Digital Marketing and/or Digital Communications. Additional courses in website and graphic design, photography or media studies would be beneficial in supporting the position. While helping to produce a marketing and communication plan for the 2018/19 Season (July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019), the day to day focus of the Digital Marketing and Communications Coordinator is to maintain, update and assist with dissemination of Ballet Kelowna programming. This includes elements of graphic/website design, skill with formal writing to support stakeholder communication (newsletters, press releases), assisting with events and programs as required, and experience with social media campaigns. This is a temporary full-time position for eight weeks commencing June 18 and ending August 10, 2018.
Responsibilities & Tasks will include:
Assisting with improvements to the Ballet Kelowna website, as well as maintaining and updating website information;
- Assisting with development of marketing materials for the 2018/19 Season, including creation of ads and visuals using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, video editing, and brochures;
- Participating in collecting and compiling information and media that can be used as promotional material;
- Creating online outreach and promotion of Ballet Kelowna using various social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Developing and implementing a social media communication plan for the upcoming season;
- Working with the AD/CEO to produce written communication materials including bi-monthly e-newsletters, letters, news releases, etc.;
- Assisting with 2018/19 subscription renewal and subscription campaign;
- Preparing communications for IN MOTION, Ballet Kelowna’s adult ballet program;
- Assisting with events and programs as required (particularly the Okanagan Summer Dance Intensive that runs in July).
- Must be a self-starter who takes initiative and is willing to learn;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Photoshop/InDesign and Graphic Design knowledge and skills;
- Competent with both Mac and PC operating systems;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint & Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop and InDesign;
- Skilled at formal writing necessary for development of public communications material;
- Ability to work productively both individually and in a team environment;
- Video editing experience would be a major asset.
This position will be required to undertake other duties as may be reasonably expected within the scope of the position. All members of staff are required to be professional, cooperative and flexible within the needs of Ballet Kelowna.
Further Job Applicant Requirements:
Funding for this position is made possible in part through the Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs program. The successful candidate will be an individual who:
· is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
· was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
· intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
· is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
· is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and is legally entitled to work according to the relevant BC provincial legislation and regulations;
· is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
This position is 30 hours per week (usually Monday - Friday) for a total of 240 hours. Some variation is required depending on events, therefore flexibility and ability to work some evenings/weekends is necessary. The hourly rate paid to the student will be $15.00.
How to apply:
A cover letter and resume are required. In the cover letter please explain why you are interested in the job opportunity. Please e-mail Simone Orlando, Artistic Director and CEO at email@example.com by Monday, June 4, 2018. All submissions will be kept confidential and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Dance with Ballet Kelowna
Ballet Kelowna is currently accepting applications for male and female dancers for the 2018-19 Season.
All dancers who apply must have completed classical ballet training at a recognized ballet academy or conservatory as well as contemporary training.
Strong improvisational and partnering skills are required.
Minimum Height for Male Dancers: 5’10” (1.78 m). Candidates measuring less than 5’10” (1.78) will not be considered.
All applicants are invited to submit a resume detailing training and experiences as well as personal information (name, nationality, date of birth, contact details, and height).
Applicants must include a recent full body photograph and a link to video footage of the applicant's dancing.
Please submit resume, photos, and video links to Simone Orlando at firstname.lastname@example.org.